Job Title: Bursar/Lead Finance Manager
Hours: 3 days a week 52 weeks
Actual Salary £28,473 pa (subject to national negotiations)
Grade/Salary: Scale 11 with annual progression within the scale
Responsible to: Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Board of Trustees
Liaison with: CEO, Trustees, Local Governing Bodies (LGBs), SLT, Finance & HR Teams
Based at: Sweyne Park School with visits to Glebe Primary School
Working Hours: There may be some flexibility around term time/school holidays Attendance at some evening meetings may be required.
As an Associate Member of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT), you will provide leadership and strategic management of Financial, Human Resources (HR) and Payroll Services across the Rayleigh Schools Trust (the Trust) to:
- develop and implement a co-ordinated HR and Financial strategy across the Trust;
- ensure the Trust is operating within a legally robust HR policy and procedural framework;
- provide robust professional HR advice and management information to managers within the Trust;
- provide strategic financial planning, (turnover approx. £10m) including, but not limited to, all implications of the statutory financial regulations, and ensuring that the school makes the best possible use of resources available;
- be responsible for Finance, HR and Premises, Contracts, Compliance and Trips, via the respective management of the school which are supportive to, but do not involve, the teaching function.
- to take the formal roles of “Chief Financial Officer” and “Company Secretary”.
This role requires a high degree of independent working and thinking, the use of initiative and the ability to understand and evaluate conflicting sources of information and demands
- responsibility for the strategic oversight of the financial position of the Trust, reporting to the CEO, Board of Trustees and the LGB;
- to undertake the role of Company Secretary to the Trust;
- to oversee budget production liaison;
- Statutory submissions;
- Liaison with Headteachers across the Trust;
- Line Management of Finance, HR, Payroll and Services and Lettings Teams in the performance of their duties set out below:
Additional Line Management Responsibilities
Finance via Finance Manager
- To administer the MAT finances.
- To be responsible for all matters relating to the administration of the schools’ finances, and to ensure such matters are dealt with in compliance with the financial regulations. This includes oversight of bank accounts, VAT accounting, cash-handling, and public/private funds.
- In consultation with the Headteacher, the preparation of the annual budget for approval by the Board of Trustees.
- To monitor the actual budget against expenditure, and give notice of any significant variations to the Headteacher/CEO, the Board of Trustees and the Local Governing Bodies (LGBs).
- To provide budget details to the SLT (on a monthly basis), and to the LGBs and Board of Trustees as appropriate throughout the year.
- To undertake monthly checks in conjunction with the Finance Officers in terms of bank reconciliation and payroll returns
- To complete the annual returns required by the external agencies e.g. Pensions, National Insurance, HMRC and VAT.
- To be responsible for seeking professional advice on insurance.
- To prepare all documentation necessary for the annual audit and submit final accounts to the Board of Trustees.
- To monitor the quality of goods and services, identify new suppliers and organise tendering processes, in accordance with the financial regulations, to ensure that the Trust receives value for money
- To maintain an Assets’ Register and the Register of Business Interests
Human Resources via HR Manager
- Development of a Trust wide HR strategy incorporating resourcing, performance, pay and reward, equality and diversity, employee relations, consultation and terms and conditions which supports the Trust in delivering its corporate objectives.
- Provision of professional advice on HR matters to facilitate strategic decision-making.
- Development and implementation of a workforce plan which meets the overall strategic plan of the Trust.
- Lead on the HR elements of change management, as required, to meet the workforce plans, including restructures, redundancies and TUPE.
- Management and delivery of effective and efficient recruitment and selection processes which enable the Trust to secure the highest quality staff.
- Ensure a compliant Single Central Record(s) is held for all schools within the Trust.
- Creation and management of a pay and reward scheme which supports recruitment and retention, and minimises risks in relation to equal pay, TUPE, contractual terms and general employment law.
- Management of appropriate job descriptions and person specifications.
- Ensuring contracts of employment are issued for all staff within required timescales.
- Data entry of payments for salaries by the Payroll Officer ensuring that the required returns are completed to deadlines e.g. superannuation, taxation and National Insurance.
Premises, Contracts, Compliance and Trips Via Services and Letting Manager
- Maintenance of the school sites and the buildings across the Trust.
- Management of the letting of school premises to outside organisations, and for the development of all school facilities for out-of-school use, with particular reference to the local community
- To draw up outline specifications for new buildings, obtain tenders and planning permission, and liaise with building contractors and the school facilities advisor via the Condition Improvement Fund (CIF)
- To administer Catering and Cleaning contracts
- To oversee all Health and Safety matters relating to school trips and visits, in liaison with the Trips and Visits Co-ordinator.
- To provide compliance with all relevant Data Protection guidelines.
All of the roles relate to the Trust wide administration of Finance, HR, Payroll, Premises. While roles will be based mainly in one location, there will be some operational movement across sites.
Ideal Person Specification
Qualifications and Experience:
- CIPD or equivalent Finance/ HR qualification or experience
- Experience working in a strategic and operational Finance/HR role
- Experience of development of policies and procedures
- Experience of leading and managing workplace change
- Experience of leading and managing a team
- Full, clean driving licence
Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
- In-depth knowledge of current employment legislation and best HR practice
- Understanding of terms and conditions and education legislation affecting staff
- Excellent verbal communication, influencing and negotiation skills and ability to relate well and manage a range of people
- Excellent written communication skills
- Strong ICT skills
- Ability to operate independently and to work effectively as part of and leading a multi-disciplinary team
- Project management skills
- Ability to work flexibly, meet deadlines and to work under pressure
- Creative thinker with innovative approach
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong commitment to own professional development
If you meet the criteria set out above, we would look forward to receiving your application. Please click on the link below to download an Application Form, which, once completed, should be returned to Mrs Katharine Dines, CEO, c/o email@example.com.
The Rayleigh Schools Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff to share this commitment. The successful applicant’s appointment will be subject to satisfactory enhanced clearance by the Disclosure & Barring Service.
We reserve the right to close applications early in the event that a suitable candidate is identified.